Here are our five best tips for slowing premature aging:
- Use sunscreen — You probably know this one already, but UV exposure is the biggest cause of skin aging. Excessive sun exposure and tanning bed use is a recipe for premature aging. Limit your exposure to the sun and apply a safe sunscreen as part of your morning routine each day — even in the winter and while driving.
- Watch what you put in your body — What you eat and drink is just as important for skin health as the products you apply to your skin. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and avoid drinking an excessive amount of alcohol, which will dehydrate your skin. Foods rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are great for repairing your skin, so make sure your diet includes these foods, such as olive oil, salmon and pine nuts.
- Take advantage of supplements — There are a variety of supplements out there to help you have healthy, youthful skin. Healthy skin supplements have important ingredients that your body needs to fight free radicals, which cause wrinkles. Look for supplements that have Vitamin A, C, D3, Biotin and more to promote healthier skin. Some vitamins for healthy skin, such as our Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement, also offer benefits for your hair and nails, too, so find a product you’ll love.
- Stop smoking — If you currently smoke, quitting now can spare your face needless wrinkles. Smoking causes blood vessels to constrict, limiting the amount of oxygen and nutrients that find their way to your skin. For tips on quitting smoking, check out the CDC’s smoking cessation resources.
- Invest in a day and night routine — Preventing wrinkles isn’t easy. You’ll need to invest your time in finding great products that help you have the beautiful skin you want. Look for anti-aging products with proven ingredients that won’t irritate your skin. You’ll need a day cream, a night cream and other products with anti-inflammatory and collagen-promoting properties to really slow premature aging.