The cosmetic industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Most women shop by either price or brand, with little regard to ingredients. According to the American Academy of Dermatologists (AAD), sensitive skin affects millions of people. Sensitive skin types result in rashes, hives, rosacea, allergies and irritation. The AAD attributes many of these sensitive skin symptoms to irritating ingredients in cosmetics and skin care.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate cosmetics or skin care,which means women need to know what’s in their makeup and skin care or face the consequences of sensitive skin. This is particularly important since sensitivity can lead to allergy that eventually may lead to chronic illness.
Some of the ingredients that can cause and increase the risk of sensitive skin include:
- Pthalates – Found in nail polish, hair sprays, soap, toys, personal care products, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), can cause hypersensitivity to the immune system resulting in severe allergic reactions. They are also known as ‘endocrine disrupters’ in the body, meaning they may have an impact on sex hormones. Risk of diabetes, overweight and high blood cholesterol levels are also linked to pthalates (WebMD).
- Triclosan – Used in mouthwash, cosmetics and personal care, this antimicrobial can contribute to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
- Oxybenzone– This common UV filter is a synthetic estrogen, can penetrate the skin, cause allergic reactions and interact with hormones.
- Plant extracts – Cosmetics and skin care products often labeled as ‘natural’ contain numerous plants. Plants may be sprayed with pesticides, contain undeclared preservatives to minimize rancidity and have side effects. It’s not about what crop is in your product, but how safe the ingredients are.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – Find it in your toothpaste, shampoo, makeup remover and other products. Has a drying effect, can cause canker sores and is a strong detergent that can irritate your skin and scalp.
|Click here for pthalate, toluene, formaldehyde free nail polish|
|Click here for natural sensitive skin cosmetics|
By choosing products based on safe ingredients and effectiveness, you can have healthy, problem free skin while slowing the aging process. Cleure has a complete line of fabulous cosmetics for day or glamor night time beauty. All free of potential toxins and formulated for sensitive skin.