There are a few methods you can use to help get rid of blackheads. Below are a few at home remedies to get rid of blackheads followed by how to keep them away.
1. Fill a large pot with distilled water. Put it on your stove and turn the heat on high. Once the water boils and you see steam coming off the water, turn off the heat, drape a towel over your head and hold your face over it. Of course, don't go too close if it feels too hot, but allow it to cool off slightly, to be manageable.
2. Instead of the pot of water, apply a hot compress with a soft washcloth, that you run under hot water. This opens the pores, making it easier to clean out the pores. Try to leave on as long as you can, preferably up to five minutes.
3. Use a gentle exfoliating scrub two times per week to clear dead skin cells. By removing dead cells, you can help new skin cells to surface.
4. Practice daily a routine of taking care of your skin:
- Use a gentle cleanser to clean your skin. If your skin is oily, use a cleanser for oily skin. Make sure it is free of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). This is a harsh and irritating detergent.
- Follow with an alcohol free toner to finish the cleaning and to close pores.
- Use an exfoliating scrub two time a week to remove dead cells and a refining mask once per month to add vital nutrients to your skin.
- Use an oil-free facial lotion to hydrate.
- Never squeeze or pick blackheads or pimples. Doing so may leave an ugly scar. It can also help spread bacteria and make the situation worse.
- Stay away from harsh toners and cleansers that strip your skin of natural oils.