Why Do You Have Oily Acne Prone Sensitive Skin?
Dermatologists agree genetics, hormonal changes, food allergies and how you manage stress certainly play a part in the cause of oily acne prone sensitive skin. Genetics you can't do much about, however the other factors can be managed. The good news is with the right skin care products and a proven routine, your problem skin can become smooth and clear.
Side Effects and Allergies to Typical Oily Acne Prone Sensitive Skin Treatments
Most skin care for acne contain harsh irritating ingredients that may work for the short time, but eventually can worsen the health of your skin. Although there are drugs available on the market that many people have tried as treatment, they have the potential to cause serious side effects. For example, some of these ingredients include:
- Benzoyl peroxide - this actives ingredient in oily acne prone products is meant to reduce excess oil production. However, for those with sensitive skin, it can cause inflammation, with resulting redness and swelling of the skin. Although some brands recommend to keep using until your face gets used to it, is that really what you want? Any irritant used for long periods of time may eventually even affect your immune system. This ingredient may also cause dark spots, which they claim will eventually go away. You may even develop sun sensitivity and initial breakouts for first time users of this ingredient in a product. With all the warnings and side effects, is it worth it?
- Antibiotics - antibiotics are routinely prescribed for effective treatment against oily, acne-prone skin. Some come in ointments, creams or may be prescribed as pills. The Center for Disease Control has warned against the use of antibiotics for extended periods. Medications with antibiotics are suited only for short periods of time to combat severe bacteria on problem skin. Long term use may cause development of antibiotic resistant organisms.
- Oral contraceptives - have been used to help decrease acne in women. Side effects can include depression, nausea, headaches and breast tenderness.
- Laser and light therapy - the technique is used to damage oil glands to decrease the production of oil. Side effects can include redness or appearance of severe sunburn.
- While the idea of using “natural” products for your oily sensitive skin sounds like something that will be safe, this is not always the case. Many of these products available at health food stores that are labeled as natural may have harsh ingredients that can lead to allergies and inflammation of your skin as well. They can also lead to premature aging of your skin by over-drying. Salicylic acid that is used in aspirin for its anti-inflammatory properties is also commonly used in many skin care products for acne or anti aging. Many people are experiencing allergies in response to products used with this ingredient although many don’t realize the cause of their reaction.
Sensitive skin, especially acne prone, requires special care. Finding the right products that are designed especially for oily acne prone skin will make a world of difference in the results you get. Many people search for hypoallergenic skin care that is also formulated to relieve the problems related to excessive oil production. The following is a step by step daily acne prone sensitive skin care needs for oily skin.
- In the morning and night cleans with an SLS free gentle cleanser that will help strip away excess oil.
- Clean off left over dirt and oil with an alcohol free toner.
- Use an oil free light moisturizer.
- Exfoliating scrub is excellent for helping to remove dead cells and allowing healthy cells to get to the surface of your skin. Use it about once or twice a week.
- A nutrient rich facial mask, such as one with kaolin clay and dead sea mud can help rejuvenate your skin to health.
- Only use salicylate free products. These are a better choice for your skin’s health and appearance.
At Cleure you will find a complete line of oily acne prone sensitive skin care products for helping to improve skin problems to health, by deep cleaning, nourishing, boosting and protecting your skin.